Monday, September 24, 2007
Shrekaporeans
$BlogItemTitle$>
I received an unexpected phonecall from my Sectional Leader from my orchestra last night.
**
Him: Hello Ben. Is it a right time to call?
Me: Yes...(I was waiting for my usual fried spring chicken order.)
Him: I want to discuss about our orchestra practices.
Me: Yes...?
Him: I hope that in future, you would attend our practices dressed less "fashionable".
Me: Yes...?
Him: I hope you understand what I'm driving at. I know that you have your own private life and activities which u attend after practices. But I hope that you would go home and change or change after practice instead. There are many conservative members in the orchestra and there are also many young students present as well.
Me: Yes I understand what you mean... (I promptly ended the conversation as I felt that there wasn't a need to discuss this further over the phone.)
**
This happened after a usual Saturday orchestra practice. I was wearing a white baggy teeshirt, denim shorts, checkered stockings and my furry heels. As usual, it caused a little mayhem here and there- it always did. In fact, I have never attended a single practice whereby no one commented on my dressing. Even during the period where I had a bout of ezcema, people commented on how 'decently' I've been dressed recently.
Let me give a outlook on our orchestra:
Practices are held on Saturday afternoons in a intimate white building located in a friendly neighbourhood, a short walk away from supermarkets, coffee houses and stores. The male members usually show up in bermudas, teeshirts and jeans. We get the ocassional members who turn up in gym gear and for those who came from prior work commitments, office wear. The ladies, the dressy ones, show up fashionably dressed while those who are more casual show up in teeshirt and jeans like the guys. We also get members who show up in flipflops and beach shorts. In short, a good number of them would be unable to even dine in a proper restaurant in whatever attire they were in. Of course, given our culture, we'd walk to the shopping centres wearing our pyjamas.
I do know that my dressing does put forward a certain persona or image. But it's just disappointing whereby people simply take you for what you are by how you dress, which in my case, I've been hanging around a bunch of people who ate, slept and function solely in bed. Even the witch who itched incessantly learnt her lesson and stopped munching on her bloody cookies in bed.
It's simply ridiculous to imply that I project a very negative image to the impressionable students. I don't see why hanging around with orcs doesn't turn them into mini-shreks of Singapore. As for the conservative adults, I don't see why even though it bothers them, it is any of my business. They can go bind their feet for all I care but I prefer mine in my size 40 heels. I do lament that Paris Hilton gets to wear all these fabulous shoes even though she has orc's feet.
Oh what the hell. I can't even be bothered to talk about it anymore. I guess it's only okay if you're freaking Jack Neo running around aiyo-ing away as a certain Liang Simei. A whole generation of Singaporeans who grew up watching that horrid green blouse- that's Shrek for you.
niaoren 9/24/2007 11:18:00 PM